Tuesday, December 6, 2016

#751 GI JOE vs COBRA - SEVERAL CARDED FIGURES (2002)


Here are some of the first G.I.Joes after the G.I.Joe: ARAH era. I remember when they came out around (to Spain) in 2002 or 2003. For some reason they were sold in 2 packs, although later there would be other packages available.

These are the first I ever saw, although then I bought none. I was not thinking about collecting them, and I haven´t bought any except these four blisters which I found at a flea market for maybe 1 or 2 Euros each. For that price I couldn´t let them go, but I have never bought any since them. Well I have a few more that I got in job lots or that friends gave to me, but I will just keep these blisters, and the others will be sold in my toy shop.



The Gi Joe vs Cobra series had a new (supposedly improved) body cast which was a little bit taller and slimmer than the ARAH body cast. The GvC had a cartoon-ish style, when the ARAH had a more realistic approach. The colour of the figures turns again to darker and we find many camo patterns, like during the first half of the 80s.

Hasbro reused many casts from weapons, backpacks and vehicles, although most figures were completely new. Interestingly, some old ARAH casts were reused to create new versions of old figures (but no new figures) and packaged in GvC series. The new weapons are sometimes very similar to the vintage ones, so many collectors buy them to complete old figures. The plastic is, according to experts a little bit shinier and more fragile, but I cannot confirm it, since I only have vintage weapons, and those that I have bought in the internet I do not know where they come from.



The first 6 sets, as depicted in the backcard are:
  • Agent Scarlett vs. Zartan
  • Sgt. Stalker vs. Neo Viper Commander
  • Flint vs. Baroness
  • Snake Eyes vs. Cobra Commander
  • Nunchuk vs. Firefly
  • Beach Head vs. Dr. Mindbender
I have the first four.


 
One of the most amazing things of these blisters are the positions in which the figures are presented, either jumping, or pointing with their guns… really original, would be later used in other toylines, but, as far as I can remember, these were the first.

Some of the new weapons (even when based on old casts) included a lid that could be inserted in some electronic vehicles and would make noise depending on the pattern coded in that lid/weapon. This can be seen very clearly in the staff of Cobra Commander on the left side, although every box has at least one of these weapons.

The first GvC releases were, of course, the most famous characters known from the previous series: Cobra Commander, Duke, Baroness, Snake Eyes... with almost no new characters.



FACTS and FIGURES:
  • Name: AGENT SCARLETT VS. ZARTAN, SGT. STALKER VS. NEO VIPER COMMANDER, FLINT VS. BARONESS AND SNAKE EYES VS. COBRA COMMANDER
  • Toy Line: G.I.Joe vs Cobra (Wave 1)
  • Year: 2002
  • Company: Hasbro (U.S.A.)
  • Size of the figures: slightly over 3.75’’ or 10 cm

No comments:

Post a Comment