Tuesday, May 10, 2016

#676 SCALEXTRIC - SIGMA (Ref. 4047) (1973)


One of the first models I had in my collection, belonged actually to my father or my uncle, and survived several years until I got it in 1990 together with the white Porsche Carrera shown in a previous entry. Other cars, like some old Mercedes didn´t.


The Sigma model was designed by Pininfarina in 1969 over the chassis of a Ferrari 312 V12 (a F1 model). It incorporated several security features. It never raced, because it was not intended to do that, but due to its futuristic design it became very popular in publications or as a toy.

Scalextric´s Sigma was not very accurate. The spoiler it is too high and the car it a bit narrower as the original, but still very impressive. It was available in three colours: yellow, orange and white. I only have the yellow one, twice. The original one described above, and another one boxed I got later. The first I got had no mirrors, so I had to buy repro ones, but the second is was complete.


A typical problem in this car is that the spikes ot the spoiler are very often broken. In the model in the picture these two spikes are broken (see picture above, right). The exhaust pipes are also fragile, since they stand above the body of the car


The car was very interesting for competition because it is very low and very stable in the curves and has long axles, so it is already very fast, doesn´t need much changes to be a winner.





FACTS AND FIGURES
  • Name: SIGMA (Ref. 4047)
  • Scale: 1:32
  • Year: 1973
  • Company: Scalextric Exin (Spain)
  • Size: approx. 14 cm

No comments:

Post a Comment