Saturday, August 15, 2015

#578 THE CORPS! – WAVE 3 (IV): BRICKWALL, CRUSHER McCLOSKEY and HAT TRICK LEMONDE (1992)

This is an entry I was willing to write since a long time, because this CORPS topic remains more or less open since entries #278, #279 and #280. There, I talked about all figures from the Corps´ waves 2 and most figures from wave 3, but I still need to comment the last 6 figures from wave 3.

If you want to know more about this series, plese visit now (or later) those entries, there are a lot of data there to read and analyse!

The names of the wave 3 missing characters are (in alphabetical order):
  • Brickwall
  • Crusher McCloskey
  • Hat Trick Lemonde
  • Lightning Mobutu
  • Sensei Kabuto
  • Steve Wyoming
These figures are the most difficult to find in the whole collection, especially complete with accesories, since the casts (both for the figures and the accesories) were almost never reused. All six figures except one (Hat Trick Lemonde) were reissued in the "Blades" series. Some rumours I heard say the casts got destroyed/damaged accidentally, so, these figures could only have a v1, unlike other Corps characters which have 5 or more versions... I should investigate about this, because I own later figures which share the legs with Brickwall and other casts that look pretty much the heads of Brickwall or Steve Wyoming.

Two things surprise me from these last six figures. First are the names, which are quite imaginative... to say it diplomatically. Second is the colourful and strange uniforms they are wearing. Yes, I now the rest of wave 3 is also quite colourful, but in my opinion, the uniforms of Crusher McCloskey, Hat Trick Lemonde or Steve Wyoming are... ahem... ridiculous.

By the way, figures have quite fragile hands... make sure not to break thumbs when playing with them, or pay attention if you plan to buy them online. And one last piece of advice: please note before purchasing that the weapons are included and that they are the right ones. There has been some confusion about which weapons go with which figures because an old webseite (today not active anymore) presented the figures with changed weapons. Pay attention to my pictures because they are correctly ordered in them.

But it´s not the negative aspects of the figures I want to point out. These figures are nice, and great collectable items. Let´s see the details one by one. In this entry I will present three characters, and in the next one, three more.

The first three are:


BRICKWALL - Probably the best figure in the group, Brickwall could be some spaceship pilot, or some astronaut soldier. The figure has a nice colour scheme in white and red, and nice sculpt details (considering this as a general flaw in the whole  "the Corps!" collection). Its helmet reminds a bit of Sci-Fi from G.I.Joe:ARAH.

CRUSHER McCLOSKEY - This figure has a strange torso, being naked except for some kind of pads and cables that also go to his head. I don´t really know what to think. The head sculpt reminds me of Psyche Out from the G.I.Joe line.


HAT TRICK LEMONDE - This figure is my least favorite (together with Steve Wyoming), because it is some futuristic rollerskater with helmet and some kind of armour that makes him look a bit fat. The helmet let see his face, and he has a moustache, so, all in all, an interesting combination. Colours are also a bad combination of green-red-white. His name is often mispelled as "Lemonade" instead of "Lemonde" (some old Corps! Webseite had this information wrong). Maybe that French sounding name inspired his moustache?


FACTS AND FIGURES:
  • Name: BRICKWALL, CRUSHER McCLOSKEY and HAT TRICK LEMONDE.
  • Toy Line: the Corps! (wave 3)
  • Year: 1992
  • Company: Lanard (Hong-Kong)
  • Size of the figure: 3 ½¨ or 8 cms.

25 comments:

  1. Hey I love hat trick lemonde!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I collected just about all of these as a kid, and it amazes me that the toy line is still around in a new incarnation. Has to be the most successful knockoff toy ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I sometimes think the same. Lanard managed to survive all these years with the Corps and other bootlegs (for example My Little Pony), grow, and even get some interesting licenses in the last years. Hopefully they keep their good work for a very long time.
      Thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  3. Hello! Great blog. I've seen Crusher and Brickwall in red suites. Are they original ones?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Thanks for the comment, and sorry for the delay in the response.

      Yes they are genuine "The Corps!" by Lanard. They belong to the "Blade Warrior" series.

      They are a bit rarer than the ordinary series. I guess you don't have the skates and the accesories that came with them, right? These are gold coloured, and very very hard to find (the same accesories than the "normal" figure plus two skates).

      Best Regards,
      Gog

      Delete
    2. Hello!
      At last, I got my the Corps figures, 26 of them! Among them, there are Crusher and Brickwall in red colors. Naturally, they all are without accessories. They are very hard to find and are more expensive than the figures themselves. Anyway, I am happy to possess them. Best wishes tp you!

      Delete
    3. Hi!

      Are you buying from those "random" lots from China? I was also thinking if I should try and see if I am lucky, but I never did yet. They are difficult to find otherwise, except in Argentina, where they seem to be more popular than anywhere else, although now, there seems to be out of stock also there.

      Thanks for the new comment!

      Delete
    4. I bought 13 pcs. from a private seller in Russia (I live there). But he might have bought them in China. In fact, they are out of stock now on Aliexpress (both new and vintage). Another 13 'men' came from a local fan community. Those from the local community are much better than from the dealer. Those from a dealer look quite suspicios. The material is not so glossy, hooks are thinner, and they are more worn in general. Besides, the left palm of some of them is very thin to the end of the fingers. That is very strange. The right hand is OK. But they all have the Lanard logo and the year on the right hip and the word China on the left one. That is good. Are there any Lanard counterfeits?

      Delete
    5. To my knowledge, these Corps are the ones that did not pass the quality control, as you mention, they might have thin hands, or cracked elbows, or the articulations may be too tight... these kind of things.

      I don't think they are copies because it is not worth copying this figures that sell for 2 dollars or even less, if you copy something, go for something far more popular that you can sell for more money... I guess that makes sense.
      (continues)

      Delete
  4. These ones are from the community (2 not included): https://pp.userapi.com/c840634/v840634072/49d2e/fm8cWkqkyx0.jpg and these ones are from the dealer (not all of them ordered): https://pp.userapi.com/c840224/v840224681/65671/1QZkyT2kIW8.jpg.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (continued) In the second pic there is also a blue Sensei Kabuto, also from that rare Blade Warriors series. There were red and blue teams, the blue team had silver accesories instead of golden, they are also rare, but some accesories match those from the first wave.
      Congratulations for those rare figures and nice to hear from a Corps community in Russia. Is really that popular the toyline to gather people and discuss Lanard topics, or is it a small group of collectors? In Spain, where I grew up, they were mostly neglected for not being the "original" G.I.Joes, but I played with them, and I have that emotional bond to the action figures.
      Thanks for the comments!

      Delete
    2. One more thing, right to the blue Sensei Kabuto, there is also a very rare figure (green/white) that came with a Jet Ski. I have the same in pink/white, or was it green/white?

      Delete
  5. Thank you for the answer! This is a community in a social network. People can buy and exchange there figures of GI Joes, Lanards, Chap Meis, etc., or post photos of their collections of toys. In 1990s, when a was a child, G.I. Joes and Lanards were not officially sold in Russia. But black market dealers sold 'frankensteins' (so we called them) - figures assembled of different pieces of different figures (supplied illegaly from China's plants where they were assemblied for official sale). But we played with them with pleasure anyway. I have not bought the Sensei (only 13 of them!), but the green/white figure is mine. A nice smiling face. What is his name, by the way? Also, as you may see, from the community I bought 3 great cammo figures: Han, Yamato, and Eagle. They are of very good quality (though used) and of great color. I like them the most. Alongside with the Rick Ranger.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I see. Let me check the name of that figure and I'll send another comment. Eagle is my favorite character, mostly the "mountain trooper" v1. Later it was turned into some kind of ninja or martial artist. The black and green figures you mention are great, also my favorite group together with the grey/night camo figures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, wrong information! The figure we were commenting was not the one with the jetski. I just checked, and I have pictures of it, but I do not know in which set or how was it sold. I have the same you have green/white, and pictures of a similar one in pink and white. The one we have has the head of Night Lazer, and the pink one has the head of Flashfire. I do not know if they had other names than those. Currently, you can see these two in the random lots from China on ebay, see for example the picture here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/lot-20-The-Corps-Special-Forces-lanard-action-figures-by-random-hand-broken/202107885376?hash=item2f0e919740:g:xqYAAOSw1NFaBBFI

      Delete
  7. Anyway, this figure is not so great as the others. Night Laser, at least, has a cool body, but this green-an-white suit is rather ordinary. As for me, I am searching for Fox. I do not have him, but he is my favourite figure among the vintage Corps. I had a chance to buy him in grey-and-black 'desert' camo, but the seller from the community said that he disappeared somewhere from his stock. What a pity. Well, I will find him someday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, also an excellent figure. InII ni opinion, it is best in grey, first version.

      Delete
  8. There is also the Space series of the vintage Corps. I am sure you are aware of it. Do you collect them? As for me, they are interesting, with great accessories, but there are not so many differences among the figures and they look similar to each other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have maybe 6 or 7. They are not my favorite, I don't like the designs, some too bulky, other too slim... Since they are only a few I am collecting them. I have some with battery-powered accessories, others with normal plastic ones.
      Thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  9. Hello! At last I got vintage Shark, a third version of Jones (in brown coat with the word Corps!, the two others were in desert yello camo and in green coat and glasses), and Fox (that was my dream)!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Funny thing. A few hours ago, I reneged having some CORPS figures, and, for the second time in my life (first one came to not fruition) I went looking for the ones I had. I almost gave up, since on my lists my guys didn't appear, until I finally saw one of them, with a different color scheme... Kept on searching and I found out that I owned the orange version of Sensei Kabuto and Hat Trick Lemonde (and I really dig this guy. Was rad!)
    I live in Argentina. I'm most certain we had a double pack for them because my cousins had a couple each too, and another friend of mine a couple also. I do remember the backpacks, specially Lemonde's, but not the guns. I think they weren't included. This all happened back on 92~93 or so, when I was 9~10.
    Another funny thing is that we got commercials and a weapon playset (kid's size) that I also didn't see anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,thanks for the comment! I am aware of the great success of the corps in Argentina. The sensei kabuto in orange is the standard figure, I think. There is also a blue one from the blades series. Not sure about the playrole accessories, maybe they are not official from lanard,but from other plastic toy manufacturer there. Glad you found your figures, I hope you keep them forever.

      Delete
    2. No, I lost mine forever :( I just found them online.
      And the accessories, well, I think they're officially licensed. Have a look:
      https://articulo.mercadolibre.com.ar/MLA-879137594-corps-gijoe-_JM
      They do have the Pacipa brand, which was the official distributor here.
      This was our commercial (I NEVER forgot that "eyaaa!" "huh!" "egh!" "huh!"... "CORPS!" 🤣😅) :
      https://youtu.be/bShjaqvTYd4

      Delete
    3. Excelente aporte, acabo de descubrir ambas cosas, !gracias por los enlaces! Juan

      Delete