Monday, April 27, 2015

#539 STRATEGIC PLAN – POWER DRAG ROBOT (Around 1987)

MONTH OF THE BOOTLEG AT TOYS FROM THE PAST!
 

The end of the 80s were the golden years of Transformers in Europe and North America. As a result, plenty of plastic knock-off and bootleg robots were available in cheap toy stores at that time. Then, most of these toys were still being manufactured in Hong-Kong, but the first Made in China toys were already appearing.



In this case, this robot is not a knock-off and maybe not even a bootleg, since it is an own designed model. The robot comprises two vehicles/parts that can be combined as a "Gestalt". A futuristic red motorbike turns to legs and head, and a blue dragster car turns to chest and arms. They must be combined to form a unique robot, which, in my opinion, looks great, but each part separately is no complete robot.


I bought the blue car a long time ago as a part of a Transformers lot, but the motorbike was much more difficult to find. At first, I thought that the car was incomplete, or that I didn´t know how to transform it correctly, but searching the internet for "Drag-4" I finally found pictures of the toy, so I knew I had to look for another part: the motorbike or "Drag-3". Now it´s complete at home and being displayed in a glass cabinet.
DRAG-3




DRAG-4




Unfortunately, there is nothing I can say about the toymaker. I have seen other transformable robots in similar boxes, but there seems to be no information at all about the manufacturer in the box. Note how poorly written it is, they even misspelled the name of the robot (Darg instead of Drag). I don't even know if there are Drag-1 and Drag-2!

All pictures of the package are taken from todocoleccion.net


FACTS AND FIGURES:
  • Name: POWER DRAG ROBOT
  • Toy Line: Strategic Plan (?)
  • Year: Around 1987
  • Company: Unknown Manufacturer (Hong Kong)
  • Size of the figure: Around 15 cm (both parts in robot mode)

8 comments:

  1. Thanks a lot for the information about this toy! I am going to put one up for sale on eBay but I wouldn't have found any information if it wasn't for you! Thanks a lot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent, I'm happy to help! Thanks for the comment and good luck with the sales.
      Cheers,
      Juan

      Delete
    2. Jaku má cenu dyk

      Delete
  2. I had these children and I'm looking to complete them. They did Not manufacture Drag 1 and Drag 2 instead made the THUNDER 1 and THUNDER 2 which are a blue plane and a white plane. You in the front art of the DRAG 4 box can see the White Airplane being the chest and arms completing the DRAG 3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, good luck in your search! They are difficult to find. If somebody has them for sales, please contact S.I.C. Industries Productions. Thanks!

      Delete
  3. I got all of them, The Strategic Plan 4 in 4 Robots,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very cool, I wonder how do drag1 and drag2 look like!

      Delete